Food, art and chemo

Last Saturday Delia and I were invited to afternoon tea at a couple who go to a language class I attend. Delia’s mum went too. It was a lovely summer day and the cakes were delicious. Very traditional, scones and jam with cream, fruit tarts and even cucumber sandwiches. Quintessentially English.

The next day our social whirl led us to an al fresco lunch at some friends at a French/English discussion group I also attend, again with Delia and her mum. There was more French spoken, there being maybe 10 French people and perhaps 15 English. Food was delicious and the weather fine and sunny.

Monday arrived and Delia’s first chemo session. Up to now we hadn’t availed ourselves of the paid-for taxi to the hospital so this time we decided to do so. The taxi duly arrived around noon and we were transported in air-conditioned luxury to the hospital. Delia had to have a heart scan first, during which the taxi driver took me around to the various desks to do the admin needed for our trip. I think this set things up for the remaining 5 sessions. We had quite a wait in a darkened waiting room, to see a doctor and then finally taken to a room with two beds where Delia was connected up to her drips. Apart from the sharp prick of the needle into her previously surgically inserted port all seemed pretty comfortable for her.

Two hours later we were ready to go home – by then the time was about 7pm. We had a batch of prescriptions for anti-diarrhoea, constipation and vomiting – a veritable smorgasbord! Unfortunately no-one had mentioned out of hours pharmacies to get hold of these and we thought first thing in the morning would be fine. However that night Delia’s nausea got worse and worse. By the time we got her drugs she couldn’t keep any of it down to take effect. Eventually she did manage to calm it down but that first day was enough to convince her she didn’t want to go through this again. The next day was a bit easier and the next even more – until Friday when Delia more or less felt normal. Chocolate doesn’t taste pleasant though coffee is good (which helped rid her of the caffeine headache). We tried to arrange an appointment with the oncologist but she was on holiday until after Delia’s next session.

On a happier note, this Saturday we went to St Yrieix about 30 mins drive away – there was an annual “festival” of watercolour art. Again, it was the three of us and there was a wide range of artistic styles to enjoy, including paintings by Delia’s current art teacher.  An enjoyable couple of hours were enjoyed by all.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *